Plagiarism and cheating are topics of concern at all levels of education. Colleges are developing a variety of strategies for preventing and detecting such cases. Members of the ITREP Network regularly organize workshops, round tables discussions and produce resources on the topic.
This concerns students, as well as teachers, who are interested in respecting copyright laws.
- Perreault, N. (2016). Le plagiat électronique : ce que c’est, prévenir, détecter. (in French) New
- Perreault, N. (2016). Stratégies de prévention du plagiat New
This Google Doc document is editable. It presents strategies for preventing plagiarism, grouped into four types of intervention: inform, train, design/create/present the work, evaluate.
The intervention strategies incorporate targets (knowledge, skills, and social skills). Resources are also presented (tutorials, learning activities, suggestions, examples, etc.) but a few empty cells remain… It is possible to improve the document according to the situation at each college and by adding other available resources.
The document goes with the slideshow described above but it can be used on its own. It can be useful for academic counsellors and librarians when planning activities, as well as for teachers interested in preventing plagiarism.
- ICT Profile Web Space (bilingual) Essential: The ICTProfile.ca Space, hosted by Profweb, offers hundreds of resources that support students and teachers in mastering skills from the Profile for Students, including those related to citing sources, to the production of a state of the art bibliography that conforms to Intellectual Property rights: tutorials, pedagogical scenarios, guides, evaluation grids, software apps, etc.
- Is My Assignment Ready To Be Submitted? Decision-Making Tool New: It is a decision tree that features five essential questions to answer before submitting an assignment. It may be used by any educational institution and adapted to showcase resources you wish to refer your students to.
- ICT Profile for College Students skills related to plagiarism (bilingual): This document can be used to complete the exploration and use of resources in the ICTProfile.ca Space according to the skills, objectives and tasks affected by plagiarism.
- Scribam – A Computer Software That Detects Plagiarism for the Quebec Education Network: View a recording of this activity, which took place in April 2017, at the ITREP meeting.
- Plagiarism File at Cégep de Saint-Félicien TBC: this excellent resource produced by Bernard Gagnon provides several tools on plagiarism: what is plagiarism, copying without cheating, using copyright-free images, how to prevent plagiarism, etc.
- Files from the Profweb website:
- Resources from the Profweb website using the keyword “plagiarism”
REPTIC Website Resources
- “Plagiarism and Copyright” keyword: Technopedagogical resources, compilations from appeals to all, etc.
- Cauchy, Clairandrée (2009). Series of articles from Le Devoir, published on Saturday April 11 and Sunday, April 12, 2009, featuring interviews with college teachers and with Nicole Perreault (in French):
- Council of Ministers of Education, Canada (CMEC)
- Perreault, N. (2009). REPTIC/IT REP Network Delicious bookmarks (social bookmark) on electronic plagiarism. (in French)
- Van Nuffel, C. (2009). Plagiarism in the era of internet (in French). Interview with Nicole Perreault. Perspectives collégiales, vol. 4, no 4 (March-April 2009), 4 pages.